Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Lunch Recipe - Blackberry Coconut Slice

When John and I moved to Ballarat approx. 18 months ago I decided to start a new tradition of having family over for lunch every Sunday.
It's been a great way to rebuild relationships with family members that unfortunately have suffered due to living long distances apart.
My Family aren't exactly the most sociable group of people, so what better way to entice them over but by offering food.
Feed them and they will come..... I say.
Unfortunately in 2010 I'd gotten into a rut when it came to choosing the lunch menu.
This year I've decided to surprise my family with something different each week.
I've been rummaging around through my recipes boxes and came across this lovely old favourite and thought... this will be perfect for the Blackberry Jam I bought at a recent local Twilight Craft Market...Yummo!
I didn't get a chance to take a pic of the slice all cut up (oops) as it was gobbled up before I had a chance to get my camera.
Anyway, here is the recipe if you would like to try it. It's very easy.

BLACKBERRY COCONUT SLICE
for the base -
90g butter
1/4 cup Castor sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
3-4 tablespoons of Blackberry jam
topping -
40g butter
2 tablespoons of Castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups of coconut
2 tablespoons self-raising flour
BASE
1. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and creamy.
2. Add egg, beat well.
3. Sift flour and cornflour, fold into creamy mixture using spoon.
4. Spread mixture evenly into a lined and greased lamington tin.
5. Spread jam over base.
TOPPING
6. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy.
7. Add egg, beat well.
8. Fold in sifted flour and coconut.
9. Spread topping over jam ( crumble spoonful at a time).
10. Bake in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.
11. Cut it into slices when cold.
VERDICT - Super yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment